Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My IAT Tests

I took both the sexuality and the age IAT tests. On the sexuality test my results were that I had a strong preference for straight people than gay people. This is somewhat consistent with my concsious awareness of the subject in that I know I do have a preference for straight people, just because I grew up in a high school where being called "gay" was the worste insult and people who truly were homosexual were not accepted. However, I would not call my preference "strong." Since I came to Southwestern I have met many gay people and feel perfectly comfortable around them. I think the results are showing my inhibited attitude that I have been trying to change. I was fully aware of this preference in high school but am not so much anymore. I probably obtained these results because of my childhood and I spent alot more time in that community than I have at Southwestern where it is much more liberal. Then I saw the results from others who have taken the test and the majority are in the same category as I was. I did not think that today that would be true, that people still have strong preferences for gay people than straight people. Personally, this is a trait about me that I would like to change, so maybe next time I take this test, my results may be slightly different.

The second test I took, age, showed me that I had a strong preference for young people rather than old. I knew this was true and am very conscious about it. I have worked in fine dining for a few years now and have had to deal with grumpy old people who do not tip. They want everything to be perfect and gripe over the smallest little things. Having to deal with this as long as I have, I am fully aware of my preference for young people. Also, young people are the people I hang out with everyday. Even at my new job, the managers are all younger and I feel much more comfortable there. In my old jobs I would feel less comfortable with older employees than younger even if I had known the older employees longer. I also have a different definition of "old." For example, if a 30 year old is hanging out with us 20 year old and is cracking jokes, acting a little immature, and is having a good time with us, I will feel comfortable with him like a would a young person. On the other hand, if a younger person has a lot of authority and is acting very mature and traditional, I would feel less comfortable with that person. This test has made me aware of how age can effect the way people treat or feel around people of different ages.

I took the sexuality test again and I tried so hard to make it be neutral. I really did think I went just as fast and just as correct with all the situations, but I STILL had a strong preference for straight people. This makes me think that this test is pretty valid, and I actually do have a strong preference for straight people even though I don't really see it. However, like I said before I can believe it because of my background.

No comments: